Hiiiii! First off, I am just so excited that you’re even here reading this post. If you have been following me for a while or just recently found me, THANK YOU! If you took the time to check out my new website today, THANK YOU! It really, truly means the world to me that I have your support. Because of you I get to do what I love every single day, and I get to show my kids that you can make a career out of your passions if you really want it bad enough.
I thought it might be fun to kick off this blog with some things about myself that you may not know, so let’s get right to it.
- I’m originally from a tiny town in upstate NY. When I say tiny, I mean I went to a K-12 school that had around 600ish(?) kids. Yes, 600 kids Kindergarten through 12th grade, lol. Everyone knew everybody and most of those people are still there. We lived really close to Lake Ontario and it is really beautiful, especially this time of year when the foliage is in full effect.
- Right after turning 18, I drove across the country and moved from said tiny town to Texas. That was in 2010. I’ve been here ever since and the only family I have here is the one I created with Matthew.
- I used to snowboard when I lived in NY, and I actually wasn’t too bad. In fact, I think I tend to surprise people with how athletic I can be. For some reason I guess I don’t come off as the athletic type? lol
- I was a Hooters bartender when I was 18-20. I’m not sure if I will ever share this bit about me with my kids or not, lol. I met one of my best friends at Hooters though, and I really learned some surprising life skills and business skills through that experience. so I don’t have any regrets 😛
- I am a creative by nature (I guess that is obvious, with my career choice being a photography). Aside from my work, I try to have one creative project on the sidelines I’m working on to keep me inspired. It’s sort of like an outlet for me. Recently I took up painting, and I have really been craving picking up the guitar lately!
- Matthew and I are not technically married. We often refer to one another as husband and wife but we haven’t made that an official thing. We’ve been together for 7 years, have two beautiful kids together, a beautiful home, and have built a life together. But to be honest, I got pregnant with our first, Noah, when I was just 21 years old and we were still kids ourselves! There was no way marriage was the right answer for us at the time, and looking back I am glad we didn’t get married just because we were having a baby. We have spent the last 7 years really challenging each other and learning from each other, learning a lot about ourselves and our relationship. We’ve really grown up together and I am really proud of us and where we are at today as individuals and as a unit. I love that guy. 🙂
- My Nana is my best friend. I’ve told her every good and bad thing about me, every mistake I’ve ever made, she knows it all. She is one hell of a woman and I think the absolute world of her. I always have.
- My celebrity crush is Leonardo DiCaprio. I wanted an ice cream cake with his face on it for my birthday since I was 8 years old, and this year for my 27th birthday my sister in law showed up with the damn cake. Will forever be one of the coolest things anyone has ever done for me and make me grin from ear to ear when I think of it.
- I had the name Noah picked out for my son since I saw The Notebook when I was in the 7th grade. I’m not ashamed.
- I am a completely self-taught photographer (with the exception of Sydney answering hundreds of questions at the beginning of my photography venture – shoutout to you for being the best, Syd!) and have learned mostly through trial and error. I used to shoot a little bit of everything when I first started until I realized my passion was in boudoir and working primarily with women about 3.5 years ago. Now I am happiest when I’m shooting boudoir, and very intimate, minimalistic motherhood sessions.
- I get overwhelmed when my plate feels too full and it comes out in irritability and low patience. I tend to do better when seeing a therapist 1-2x a month just to help me keep my priorities on track, continuously evaluate what my priorities and personal goals are, and I strongly believe EVERYONE can benefit from seeing a therapist, it’s just about finding one you really vibe with. I’m just a better partner, mom, and version of myself when I’m seeing a therapist. There is absolutely no shame in seeking therapy and it doesn’t mean you are less than if you see a therapist. We don’t have to have it all together all of the time, and there is so much strength in learning and acknowledging our flaws and working on them because we want to be better versions of ourselves. We should always be growing <3
- While I am really excited about starting this blog, I’m also a little nervous. I want to use this blog to focus on women-related topics that I’m genuinely passionate about, even the really hard ones. I’m planning to use this space to be really transparent and vulnerable with you guys. I want to create a space where we can all feel safe being 100 percent ourselves and not have to worry about feeling compared or judged. I hope that’s what you’re here for too. <3
I’d genuinely love to hear something about you! Let’s connect. Share something about yourself in the comments or send me a DM! Always open to blog topic suggestions, too 🙂
Until next week – xo,